Jun 22, 2009

My pseudo blackberry

Word of caution..this is a long entry...

I always wanted to get a blackberry..the push email technology was the envy of other phone manufacturer...and i tend to get restless if i dun check my email every 1/2 hour...even on weekend. But the problem with them are the premium pricing they charge..lack of apps..i mean pirated ones..and the form factor...
So, i opted for nokia...the familiar symbian os..the souped up S60..bunch of warez..the freakin thin form factor compared to my previous dopod..and full qwerty keypad. I did some reading before getting this baby..it was highly regarded due to its feature..hsdpa..gps..good batt life and bunch other stuff. But what's lacking is the push email.
After browsing thru the net...i found out nokia is testing an email app for their own push email..it's in beta stage..free and really easy to setup...so std gmail or yahoo setup is a breeze..just type in ur username and pw..and voila...ur personal email is pushed to ur phone.
So when started working again..corporate email app is lotus notes..and not supported for mobile phone especially e71 thru Blackberry Connect..unless ur the country manager..they're given blackberries..so i searched hi and low for a better and free alternatives. I did found Notes Traveler..still beta stage but i need to specify my server address..which is totally out of the quession...i need somekind of hi security clearance for that kind of info..
Then the light bulb on top of my head flickered for a second..and eureka!...i should have thought of this earlier...i can just auto forward all my lotus notes email to my gmail and i can view all the emails thru my phone...well i still cannot reply coz it will show my gmail add instead of the corporate one..but heck..i just need to know whether i have email in the inbox...
The pre-installed gps app is crap..so my fren showed me a site to install garmin mobile..it's a garmin man..so complete turn by turn navigation...well minus text to speech..but heck..it's free!! So now i go around KL with my gps turned on...mcm tourist..hehehe..
Plus..since i upgraded my plan to the celcom exec 148...i got unlimited BB..well 5GB so called unlimited on hsdpa network...and RM150 talk time....i can do tethering with my thinkpad anywhere..instead of paying a bomb in starbucks for a wifi..
So there you go..blackberry on the cheap...i think..never bothered to look up their plan..but i feel a comparable alternative..can't say better coz i haven't tried blackberry yet.
What abt iphone? I can't live without a physical keypad..really hard to text while driving..hehehe..
Palm pre or android phones..maybe next yr when the OS have matured enough..
Another thing i like abt this phone..i can do mobile blogging..instead of facing the monitor..coz bloggers do have writers block too..and u dunno when u'll be strucked with that cool idea to write abt...i always get my ideas from odd places..my idea room..like when i wrote on this entry...maryam would know..hahaha...
I can go on and on abt this phone..the pre-installed browser is awesome..a good rss reader...good for light reading when wifey going in n out of her shopping spree..it has fring..mobile IM..so i can chat with frens when wifey goes to the dressing room..yeah..most of the time..just to occupy my time waiting for her...that's the highlight of my life..

Sent from my Nokia E71 phone

0 comments: