Jun 15, 2008

Hobbies R Us

Since i was a kid...i always wondered what's my hobby...in school..whenever teacher ask abt it..i'll give a lame answer..reading book..or listening to music..but never collecting stamp though..that's uber lame...gosh i can't believe anybody would do that in these days...who send snail mail anyway!!

Anyway..couple of weeks ago...that same thought came to me again...what is my hobby...i mean...things i do diligently day in day out...full of passion and conviction...Does a person's hobby change during his lifetime...is there such term as hobbies nowadays or is it interest..or stuff you do while ur not bored....then it suddenly struck me...like eureka...archimedes would say...i dun have an exact hobby...I think i've changed my hobbies like i changed my clothes...and most of the stuff i do are based on my friend's interest or the current in thing for that period of time....i dun exactly have my own..or is it the norm...to follow what other poeple doing...and copy paste...

After further thinking abt it..i notice there's one similarities on all the hobbies or interest i've ever tried....a common denominator..again..the bulb on my head light up....it's all involve new toys!!....let me explain...

Hobby:
1. Computer
Started off while I'm waiting for my A-level results...the thought of having an internet connection with a speed of 14.4kbps was so enticing....told my dad...or rather lied to him abt the advantage of having the computer and internet at home...my sis can use it for their homework...read the newspaper bullshit...and 1 week later..i got myself a computer and the whirring sound of those modem dialling tone was so heavenly peaceful....

2. Gaming
I'm a gamer..the 1st computer game i played was Tomb Raider...Lara Croft was so freakingly sexy though during that time the graphic was crap..i mean it's just polygons and more polygons...Then later in MMU, played Counterstrike...also since everybody was playing it...so i joined in...then while in IBM, i bought myself a PS2 slim....played it for 2 month...and it just collected dust...even the thought of playing a game just to tiring for me....That brings me to my current addiction...bought myself a Nintendo Wii...it's not a high tech piece of innovation..but for the price i payed...heck i liked it...

3. Books
OK...not that i love reading them till no end..but whenever i found myself a good book...i just can't stop my self..i even finished all series of Shopaholics by sophie kinsella.....but i did stop myself reading her latest book...I finished Da Vinci Code in one go...that's when i realized its just a waste of money....Biz book are little bit slower...like the World is Flat...took me 8 months to finish..almost cheated my way out of it by going thru the youtube version..early this yr bought Mitch Albom's book in some sunday market for 5 dollar...and just recently ordered online a book titled The Diving Bell and the Butterfly....based on a true story and just watched the movie adaptation...haven't read the book yet..saving it up for my flight back home...but wat inspired my was how the author wrote the book...He suffered a massive stroke, paralyzed and was only able to blink his left eye.....So he wrote a whole freaking book by blinking his eye whenever a helper pronounced the correct alphabet....the helper would say..a..b..c....he blinks.. and so on....not a thick book but i kicked my self writing a 500 word essay...he died 2 days after the book was published....such a beautiful determination of the mind....but many moons ago when smartphone are still in the drawing board....i got myself a PDA...yes..sony clie...its already discontinued...but i loaded tonnes of ebook in there....then couple of months later i realised pen and paper are way much more productive!!..faster and cheaper...............

4. Travelling
Think with the great outback here...i just wanna go out and chill....that's where my GPS come into the picture...its really worth the price...not just the cost of buying..but the cost of you sleeping outside ur own bedroom, the price of eating crappy food...the price of ur happiness..how can u put that in monetary term...its impossible..coz that piece of technology can save ur marriage....seriously....

5. Photography
My latest obsession....so many gadgets in one hobby...the best of all the hobbies i've tried before...see....u got to buy the body of the camera..then the lens....which are mind numbingly confusing..from telephoto to wide angle to macros....then come filters for the lens....the flash gun...battery grips and so many more.....its endless

And best of all.. i think its a culmination of all the hobbies I tried...its a piece of technology from from hobby - 1...i can shoot photo instead of bullets from hobby 2...they say a picture is worth a thousand meaning....so that practically cover book reading...sorta...from hobby 3....it makes me get out of bed and go places..from hobby 4....

so to wrap up my long winded entry for the month...i would like to say - to my wife... can i get a wide angle lens pls?

9 comments:

~ayoi~ said...

Mr Evil: Sounds like guys will always be guys. From 1 toy to another toy. But, I guess that's what guys are.

*Tgh geram dgn Alienware laptop.

CikPah: The template is soooo not you.

the evil genius said...

ayoi...yup i'm easily amused and easily bored...

Alienware looks awesome dude

Olpicture said...

tak tengok detail, macam terfikir "ganaz giler cheeky main Conterstrike"... rupernyer Entry form Cheeky's other half! duh!

ummi of triplet said...

u and ur freaking expensive hobbies. i yg baru sekali beli beg kat kedai gerabak ketapi tu pun u dah nak report kat umi. u can buy that lens if you buy me u know what.

Anonymous said...

Nice list of hobbies. I love reading about what other people like to get into. Traveling is the one thing I'm not yet capable of doing as the kids are young and the bank account isn't ripe.

Maryam A. Razak. said...

ooooohhhh bibi midah ugut u uncle g!
hahaa.

u ikot i.
lepas i suka photograpphy baru u suka.
hehehehehe.
i want to take photograpahy next year.
but unfortunately,i cant.

kalau nak ambik kene sit the exam TEE and it counts towards my uni entrance or something.
i dont want to do photography exams!
i want to do it for fun.
there's no space fr photo. in my subjects next year anyway.

i have already taken physics, chem, bio, maths, history and accounting. no time for other subjects :(

BY THE WAY,
I COLLECT STAMPS!!!!!!!
I HAVE A WHOLE ALBUM.
FROM RARE ONES (THE QUEEN'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY) TO JUST NORMAL MALAYSIAN ONES.

AND I SEND SNAIL MAIL OK.
baru je hantar surat haritu.
hehehe.

the evil genius said...

morgan,

i dun want to burst ur bubble...but i didn't ikut u ok...my friend suggested to take up photography..he's a toy freak too...

the subjects ur taking next yr screams NERD alert to me though...hahaha

with regards to stamps collection and snail mail...have u been living under a rock for the past millennium!!

Maryam A. Razak. said...

oh i forgot to tell you, im taking japanese also .
hehehehe.

and I AM SO NOT A NERD!!!

f.y.i i think i am the most technology-updated person in my family.
unless you count adam who is just plain geeky.

WHY DOES EVERYONE CALL ME MORGAN NOW ??!!!

ummi of triplet said...

coz morgan sounds nerd

hahahahaha